Nintendo has delayed pre-orders for the Switch 2 console due to concerns over the latest tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump. While the console is still set to launch on June 5, the Japanese gaming company has not provided a new date for pre-orders, stating that it will “update timing at a later date.”Previously, select customers were expected to receive invitations to pre-order the Switch 2 directly from Nintendo’s website starting May 8. However, it is now unclear when this will happen.
Priced at $449.99, the Nintendo Switch 2 features a 7.9-inch 1080p display, 256GB storage, and a C-button for in-game chats. The price of the upcoming console is already much higher than its predecessor, which costs $299. Its games are also more expensive, ranging from $69.99 to $79.99. However, it remains uncertain whether Trump’s tariffs will lead to further price increases for the console or its accessories. It's also important to note that Nintendo announced the Switch 2 on the same day Trump introduced new tariffs affecting multiple US trade partners.
What Nintendo said about Switch 2 pre-order delay
In a statement to The Verge, Nintendo’s senior VP, Eddie Garcia, said: “Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions. Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged.”
Former Nintendo PR managers not happy with Switch 2’s launch price
Former Nintendo PR managers Kit Ellis and Krysta Yang have called the backlash over the Switch 2 and Mario Kart World pricing “a true crisis moment for Nintendo.” In a YouTube video, they criticised the company’s approach to revealing the $449.99 price of the Switch 2 and the $79.99 price of Mario Kart World, which has sparked widespread controversy.
“I don’t want to blow things out of proportion, but this does feel like a true crisis moment for Nintendo,” Ellis noted.
Apart from Mario Kart World, other Switch 2 edition games, including The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, are also priced at $79.99. The company charging for the Welcome Tour tutorial, which is widely expected to be a free pack-in, was also criticised to be a misstep, especially when compared to freebies like Astro's Playroom on PS5.
Ellis and Yang even slammed the company for deliberately omitting price details in its Direct, leading to consumer confusion and speculations. They argue that this approach disrespects and underestimates the intelligence of Nintendo’s fans.
Priced at $449.99, the Nintendo Switch 2 features a 7.9-inch 1080p display, 256GB storage, and a C-button for in-game chats. The price of the upcoming console is already much higher than its predecessor, which costs $299. Its games are also more expensive, ranging from $69.99 to $79.99. However, it remains uncertain whether Trump’s tariffs will lead to further price increases for the console or its accessories. It's also important to note that Nintendo announced the Switch 2 on the same day Trump introduced new tariffs affecting multiple US trade partners.
What Nintendo said about Switch 2 pre-order delay
In a statement to The Verge, Nintendo’s senior VP, Eddie Garcia, said: “Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions. Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged.”
Former Nintendo PR managers not happy with Switch 2’s launch price
Former Nintendo PR managers Kit Ellis and Krysta Yang have called the backlash over the Switch 2 and Mario Kart World pricing “a true crisis moment for Nintendo.” In a YouTube video, they criticised the company’s approach to revealing the $449.99 price of the Switch 2 and the $79.99 price of Mario Kart World, which has sparked widespread controversy.
“I don’t want to blow things out of proportion, but this does feel like a true crisis moment for Nintendo,” Ellis noted.
Apart from Mario Kart World, other Switch 2 edition games, including The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, are also priced at $79.99. The company charging for the Welcome Tour tutorial, which is widely expected to be a free pack-in, was also criticised to be a misstep, especially when compared to freebies like Astro's Playroom on PS5.
Ellis and Yang even slammed the company for deliberately omitting price details in its Direct, leading to consumer confusion and speculations. They argue that this approach disrespects and underestimates the intelligence of Nintendo’s fans.
You may also like
Sir David Attenborough shares emotional message as he prepares to celebrate huge milestone
Five Districts In Maharashtra Report 21,219 Farmer Suicides In 24-Year Period
Judge transfers case of detained Turkish PhD student Rumeysa Ozturk to Vermont
"Government should take strict action": BJP leader Arun Govil on Mahadev Betting App case
RS passes waqf bill 128-95 as BJD boosts NDA numbers